Recent Rankings & Awards
U.S. News & World Report
Dickinson earned extensive recognition in the U.S. News & World Report 2013 “Best Law Firms” rankings, which were released in the fall of 2012. The firm received Tier 1 rankings in its market – the Des Moines metropolitan area – in the following areas of law:
- Banking & Finance
- Employment Law — Management
- Financial Services Regulation Law
- Immigration Law
- Labor Law — Management
- Litigation — Eminent Domain and Condemnation
In addition, the firm received Tier 2 rankings in: Bankruptcy & Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency & Reorganization Law; Closely Held Companies & Family Businesses Law; Commercial Litigation; Corporate Law; Derivatives & Futures Law; Family Law; Mergers & Acquisitions Law; Real Estate Law; Tax Law; and Trusts & Estates Law.
The Best Lawyers in America
- The 14 Dickinson attorneys listed below were selected for inclusion in the 2013 edition of The Best Lawyers in America, an annual compilation based on exhaustive and rigorous peer review surveys. This number represents three-fourths of the firm’s shareholders who were employed by the firm at the time the rankings were compiled. In addition, four Dickinson attorneys were named Lawyer of the Year: Jeffrey Krausman (education law), Jon Sullivan (banking and finance law), Paul Tyler (land use and zoning law), and John Vernon (family law).
- Howard O. Hagen (Banking and Finance Law; Financial Services Regulation Law)
- Jeffrey A. Krausman (Education Law; Employment Law – Management; Labor Law – Management)
- F. Richard Lyford (Commercial Litigation; Litigation – Land Use & Zoning; Litigation – Real Estate)
- Richard A. Malm (Commercial Litigation; Corporate Governance Law; Derivatives & Futures Law; Eminent Domain & Condemnation Law)
- David M. Repp (Tax Law; Trusts and Estates; Non-Profit/Charities Law)
- Russell L. Samson (Employment Law – Management; Labor Law – Management)
- Jon P. Sullivan (Banking and Finance Law; Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights Law/Insolvency and Reorganization Law; Litigation – Real Estate; Mortgage Banking Foreclosure Law)
- Paul R. Tyler (Real Estate Law; Land Use & Zoning Law)
- John K. Vernon (Family Law)
- William Serangeli (Commercial Litigation; Litigation – Land Use & Zoning; Litigation – Real Estate; Real Estate Law)
- Fred Schneider (Corporate Law)
- William Stiles (Land Use & Zoning Law; Real Estate Law)
- Jill Jensen-Welch (Litigation – Labor & Employment)
- Ron Mountsier (Tax Law)
- Best Lawyers also awarded the firm “Top Listed” honors in Iowa and Des Moines in the following areas of law:
- Banking and Finance Law
- Business Organizations including LLCs and Partnerships
- Derivatives and Futures Law
- Employment Law – Management
- Immigration Law
- Labor Law – Management
- Litigation – Labor & Employment; Land Use & Zoning; Real Estate
- Corporate Governance Law
- Labor Law
- Land Use & Zoning Law
- Financial Services Regulation Law
- Mortgage Banking Foreclosure Law
- Closely Held Companies & Family Business Law
- The complete 2012 Best Lawyers rankings are posted online at http://www.bestlawyers.com/.
Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- Nine Dickinson attorneys were selected for inclusion in the 2011 edition of Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business. In addition, the firm was one of only nine Iowa law firms to be ranked in every area of law (Labor & Employment, Corporate/M&A, Real Estate, and Litigation) researched by Chambers & Partners in the state of Iowa. Chambers & Partners, the publisher of Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, bases its rankings on in-depth interviews with attorneys and clients, giving greater weight to clients’ comments. This year, Chambers recognized the following attorneys as leading individuals in their respective areas of law:
- Howard Hagen received special recognition as one of only two Iowa attorneys to be named a “Star Individual,” and the only Iowa attorney to be named a “Star Individual” in the area of Corporate/M&A: Banking & Finance.
- The complete 2011 Chambers USA rankings, along with researchers’ commentary on the Dickinson law firm and its attorneys, can be found online at http://www.chambersandpartners.com/USA.
- The following Dickinson attorneys were selected for inclusion in the 2011 Iowa Super Lawyers list published by Great Plains Super Lawyers magazine:
- The complete 2011 Iowa Super Lawyers list can be found online at http://www.superlawyers.com/.
Other Recent Awards
- In 2010 the Iowa State Bar Association presented its highest honor, the Award of Merit, to Dickinson attorney Paul Tyler. In presenting the award, which was created 63 years ago, ISBA President Jane Lorentzen cited Paul’s dedication to the legal profession, to the association, and to his community as the reasons for conferring the award on him.
- Dickinson attorneys Mollie Pawlosky and Mary Zambreno were selected as Des Moines Business Record Forty Under 40 honorees for 2010.
- Dickinson attorney Paul Tyler was named the Des Moines Real Estate Lawyer of the Year for 2009 by Best Lawyers.
- Dickinson attorney Mary Zambreno was recognized by the Polk County Volunteer Lawyers Project as an Outstanding Volunteer in 2008 and 2009.
- Dickinson attorney David Repp, who chaired the Iowa State Bar Association’s Taxation Section in 2008-2009, was named the year’s Outstanding Section Chair.
- Dickinson attorney Paul Tyler received the Polk County Bar Association’s highest honor, the Award of Merit, for 2008. The PCBA’s Award of Merit is not awarded annually, but is reserved for only the most dedicated candidates who have continually served the association.