Ben Bruner has a general practice including but not limited to the areas of real estate and corporate law. He advises businesses, banking institutions and individuals concerning the management, ownership and financing of real estate, and assists in the acquisition, sale and associated financing of commercial and residential properties. In addition, he provides advice to a variety of business clients regarding general corporate transactions, including organizational, development and start-up issues, board of directors operations and duties, and general contract drafting and negotiations. Ben also counsels, advises and assists clients with regard to estate planning and probate manners along with general tax issues.
Areas of Practice
Contracts & Agreements
Admitted to practice in the following states:
Admitted to practice before the following federal courts:
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Iowa
Reported Cases and Representative Matters
- Assist clients in all facets of commercial and residential real estate acquisitions, sales, land development, lease arrangements, land use issues, and conventional and tax credit financing (including but not limited to contract drafting review / negotiation, due diligence, title review / remediation, and closing services).
- Facilitate and negotiate pre-litigation workouts related to financially challenged real estate properties and projects and assist in the enforcement and litigation of real estate financing and leasing obligations.
- Provide tax and estate planning advice and services to individuals, large and small businesses, and nonprofit organizations concerning a broad range of wealth transfer planning, tax planning and advisory services (including but not limited to drafting last wills, financial and healthcare powers of attorney, living wills, and trust agreements).
- Handle the probate of large and small estates from opening to close, assist in the administration of trusts, and provide advisory services to estate and trust fiduciaries.
- Advise clients on the tax aspects of various corporate transactions, including incorporations, and represent clients with respect to tax matters involving the use of pass-through entities such as partnerships, limited liability companies, and s corporations.
Memberships & Activities
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Polk County Bar Association
- Des Moines Jaycees
- Greater Des Moines Partnership’s Young Professionals Connection
- Minnesota Justice Foundation
- Volunteer, 2006
- University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
- Volunteer, 2003-2005
Education & Background
- J.D., Hamline University School of Law, 2008 (Founding Member, Hamline University Business Law Association; Study Abroad at the University of Oslo/University of Bergen, Norway)
- B.B.A. in Accounting, University of Iowa, 2005 (Phi Sigma Theta National Honor Society)
Articles & Presentations
- Author, Drones and Loans, Iowa Banking Law Blog; Iowa Real Estate & Land Use Blog, January 28, 2016
- Author, Contractors-Developers Denied the Right to Invoke the Protections of the Implied Warranty of Workmanlike Construction, Iowa Real Estate & Land Use Blog; Iowa Banking Law Blog, February 26, 2015
- Author, Iowa Supreme Court Limits a Lender’s Right to Remedy of Implied Warranty of Workmanlike Construction, Iowa Banking Law Blog; Iowa Real Estate & Land Use Blog, February 1, 2015
- Presenter, “Land Use and Planning Issues,” National Business Institute, West Des Moines, Iowa, July 28, 2014
- Author, The New Business Property Tax Credit, Iowa Real Estate & Land Use Blog, December 16, 2013
- Author, Foreclosing Banks and Attorneys Beware!, Iowa Banking Law Blog, May 6, 2013
- Presenter, “The Probate Process from Start to Finish,” National Business Institute Seminar, West Des Moines, Iowa, October 18, 2012
- Presenter, “Recent Changes to Iowa Lien Laws,” Iowa Banking Law Seminar, Dickinson, Mackaman, Tyler & Hagen, P.C., West Des Moines, Iowa, August 30, 2012
- Author, “RESPA” Doesn’t Prohibit the Collection of Unearned Settlement Fees, Supreme Court Says, Iowa Real Estate & Land Use Blog on Dickinsonlaw.com, June 22, 2012
- Author, In Sackett v. EPA, the U.S. Supreme Court hears case involving property owners’ rights, Iowa Real Estate & Land Use Blog on Dickinsonlaw.com, January 13, 2012
- Author, The Sale-Leaseback Scenario, Iowa Real Estate & Land Use Blog on Dickinsonlaw.com, August 7, 2011
- Author, An Unwanted “Benefit” and Bill: A Recent Special Assessment Case, Iowa Real Estate & Land Use Blog on Dickinsonlaw.com, June 24, 2011
- Author, Ambiguous Provisions May Blur the Line Between Customary Capital Call and Personal Liability of LLC Members, Iowa LLC Blog, June 16, 2011
- Author, The Un-Neighborly Neighbor: A Recent Private Condemnation Case, Iowa Real Estate & Land Use Blog on Dickinsonlaw.com, June 13, 2011
- Author, Builders Beware: Home Construction Contracts Are Afforded Consumer Fraud Protections, Iowa Real Estate & Land Use Blog on Dickinsonlaw.com, May 29, 2011
- Author, Creditors of an LLC Can Collect from Members in Certain Cases, Iowa LLC Blog, May 12, 2011