Des Moines, IA 50309
Attorney Elissa Holman is a highly successful and knowledgeable professional with nearly two decades of experience in Employment Law, Contract Law, Litigation, and Human Resources. At Dickinson Law, Elissa's practice is focused primarily on Employment Law and Civil Litigation. Her unique background helps her leverage her extensive business, HR and legal knowledge for her clients by helping them get in front of issues, in a proactive manner, to avoid costly litigation and headaches in the future.
Before joining the firm, Elissa spent three years as a litigator in Employment Law, Personal Injury, and Defamation Law. She was named a "Rising Star of the Great Plains" for her work by Thomson Reuters in 2021 and 2022.
Prior to becoming an attorney, Elissa climbed the corporate ladder at Bank of America for 16 years where she held various roles as a Senior Vice President in the HR arena. Her predominant focus during her tenure was in leadership development, executive coaching, training and development, and assisting in the direction and execution of HR operational processes and services for more than 200,000 employees across the globe. She has also served as a consultant for Fortune 500 companies focusing on the customer and associate experience.
Education & Background
- J.D., University of Missouri Kansas City School of Law (President, Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys Student Chapter 2016-17, Mock Trial Team, Association of Women Lawyers, Black Law Students Association, and Student Innocence Project)
- B.A., University of Missouri Kansas City (Cum Laude)
- Trial Attorney, Newkirk Zwagerman, P.L.C., Holman Kent, P.L.C., and Duncan Green, P.C. 2019-2022
- Principal/Strategy & Human Resources Professional Independent Consultant, Q5 North America, 2011-2015
- Senior Vice President, various Human Resources roles focused on leadership development, executive coaching, training and development, and execution of human resources operational processes and services for employees, Bank of America, 1995-2011
Honors & Awards
- Named a “Rising Star of the Great Plains” by Thomson Reuters in 2021, 2022, and 2023. Only 2.5% of attorneys are selected annually throughout the Great Plains to the Rising Stars list.
Admitted to practice in the following states:
Admitted to practice before the following federal courts:
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Iowa
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa
- U. S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- U. S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
Reported Cases and Representative Matters
- In 2021, served as co-counsel in a jury trial in a defamation case which resulted in an 8 million dollar verdict favorable for client.
- In 2020, served as co-counsel in a jury trial resulting in a six figure favorable verdict for client.
Memberships & Activities
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Polk County Women’s Association
- Iowa Association for Justice
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Iowa; Volunteer
Articles & Presentations
- Led a CLE for the Iowa Association for Justice in February 2022