Emily A. McGovern
Emily is an Associate in the firm’s Banking and Start-Up Groups, assisting new companies with their legal needs as they plant roots in Iowa and around the Midwest. Her practice focuses on a variety of issues, including banking, mergers and acquisitions, corporate law, privacy matters and cybersecurity.
With the knowledge and experience needed to work with new companies and growing tech firms, Emily is also focused on partnering with universities and incubators to help make Iowa one of the top states for successful startups.
She received undergraduate degrees in International Studies and Economics from the University of Iowa, her Juris Doctor at Washington University School of Law, and most recently a Master of Laws (LLM) degree focused on Law & Entrepreneurship from Duke University School of Law. Throughout her studies, Emily was a member of the Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society.
Emily also brings extensive legal training to her practice, including serving as an intern at the National Consumer Law Center in Boston, MA and as a student attorney at the Entrepreneurship and Intellectual Property Clinic in St. Louis, MO.
Education & Background
L.L.M., Duke University School of Law (Law & Entrepreneurship)
J.D., Washington University School of Law
B.A., University of Iowa (International Studies)
B.A., University of Iowa (Economics)
Admitted to practice in the following states:
Memberships & Activities
Iowa State Bar Association
International Association of Privacy Professionals
Articles & Presentations
- Presenter, "Rollback of the Volcker Rule and the Impact on Iowa," Dickinson Law Banking Webinar Series, September 15, 2020.
- Presenter, "Beyond Attracting Capital: How to Optimize Corporate Governance to Signal Prospective Investors," IowaBio Partnering for Growth Conference, March 11, 2020.
- Presenter, "Formation & Financing," Dickinson Law Startup Seminar, March 5, 2020.
- Guest Lecturer, Entrepreneurship for Graduate Students in Science and Engineering, Iowa State University, February 10, 2020.
- Author, SEC Asserts Authority: Some ICOs Are Legal, Some Are Not, Iowa Startup Group Blog, February 5, 2020.