Fred R. Schneider
After 51 years of Iowa business law practice, including the last seven years at Dickinson, Mackaman, Tyler, & Hagen P.C., attorney Fred Schneider retired November 30, 2018.
Education & Background
- J.D., Drake University Law School(With Honors; Order of the Coif; Drake Law Review Editor-in-Chief, 1966-1967; Director, Des Moines Pre-trial Release Project, 1966-1967)
- B.A., Drake University (Phi Beta Kappa; Phi Eta Sigma)
- Judicial Law Clerk to the Honorable Roy L. Stephenson, Chief Judge, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa, 1967-1969
Honors & Awards
- Selected for inclusion in the 2011-2019 editions of The Best Lawyers in America in the following area:
- Corporate Law
Admitted to practice in the following states:
Admitted to practice before the following federal courts:
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Iowa
Reported Cases and Representative Matters
- Has represented a business-to-business publisher for more than 20 years, during which time the publisher has grown – through organic growth and acquisitions – from producing a single publication to producing more than 40 nationally distributed business-to-business publications directed to four different industries.
- Has represented a consumer magazine publisher through its expansion from producing a single publication to producing four publications covering the consumer enthusiast areas with both print publishing and a large e-commerce/online presence.
- Has represented a serial entrepreneur in publishing and electronic media in various endeavors over a number of years. Client acquires publishing and/or electronic media businesses, grows them either organically or by acquisition, and sells them.
- Continues to represent an automotive dealership that was one of his first clients. Has transitioned the business through three generations of family ownership.
Memberships & Activities
- Iowa State Bar Assocation
- American Bar Association
- Member, Business Law Section
- Polk County Bar Association
- Drake University Law School Board of Counselors
- Member, 1981-1990
Articles & Presentations
- Instructor, “Buying and Selling Publications,” North American Senior Publications Association, 2003-2004