John K. Vernon
John Vernon retired from Dickinson, Mackaman, Tyler & Hagen, P.C. on December 31, 2014. John worked as an attorney for 39 years – the past 22 of which he spent with Dickinson practicing family law. Please read John’s retirement announcement here.
Please contact a member of our Family Law Group for all family law inquiries and issues.
Honors & Awards
- Selected for inclusion in the 2001-2015 editions of The Best Lawyers in America in the following area:
- Family Law
- Selected for inclusion in the 2014 Great Plains Super Lawyers List in the area of Family Law.
Admitted to practice in the following states:
Admitted to practice before the following federal courts:
- U.S. Supreme Court
Reported Cases and Representative Matters
- Carriers Insurance Company in Liquidation v. Bowman Transportation, Inc. __ N.W.2d __ (Iowa Ct. App. 1994). Denial of claim in liquidation and interpretation of a release.
- Garvis v. Scholten 492 N.W.2d 402 (Iowa 1992). Hospital and its medical records department head immune from liability when providing medical information to Iowa Department of Human Services as part of child abuse investigation.
- Hager v. Doubletree 440 N.W.2d 603 (Iowa 1989) cert. den. 110 S.Ct. 325. Nonresidents challenged personal jurisdiction of Iowa court.
- White v. Citizens National Bank of Boone 262 N.W.2d 812 (Iowa 1978). Failure to supplement answers to interrogatories by plaintiff’s expert precluded testimony as to increased damages.
- Redmond v. Carter 247 N.W.2d 268 (Iowa 1977). Constitutional challenge to appointment of district court judges to new Iowa Court of Appeals.
- Captain, United States Marine Corps, 1968-1971 (Vietnam)
Memberships & Activities
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Member, Board of Governors, 1999-2003
- Member, Family Law Section CLE Committe
- Polk County Bar Association
- Chair, Family Law Committee, 1996-1997
- Member, Family Law Committee
- Polk County District Court Mediation Project
- Mediator and Arbitrator
- American Bar Association
- Youth Law Center
- Board of Directors, 2003-2006
- Legal Aid Society of Polk County
- Board of Directors, 1991-1994
- West Des Moines Library
- Member, Bond Committee, 1994
In the Media
- J.D., University of Puget Sound, 1975
- B.A., St. Benedict’s College, 1968
Articles & Presentations
- Presenter, “Common Questions, Clear Answers,” Iowa State Bar Association Family Law Seminar, Des Moines, Iowa, October 27-28, 2005
- Author, “Iowa Law on Premarital Agreements,” Dickinsonlaw.com, Dickinson, Mackaman, Tyler & Hagen, P.C., February 25, 2001
- Author, “Alimony,” Dickinsonlaw.com, Dickinson, Mackaman, Tyler & Hagen, P.C., December 24, 2000
- Presenter, “Dealing with Wage Garnishments,” Client Employment Law Seminar, Dickinson, Mackaman, Tyler & Hagen, P.C., Des Moines, Iowa, October 7, 1999