Joe Borg is a member of a firm’s Litigation Group with a general practice including but not limited to commercial litigation, real estate litigation, and all other areas of trial law. His commercial and real estate litigation practice includes breach of contract, breach of lease, professional malpractice, and business torts claims among others. Joe’s representative clients range from large corporations to small businesses and individuals.
Joe graduated summa cum laude from Central College in 2000, where he was named a captain of the Central College basketball team. In 2003, he graduated with high honors from Drake University Law School and was elected to the Order of the Coif. While at Drake, Joe served as Articles Editor of the Drake Law Review and was a member of the Moot Court Board. Prior to joining Dickinson, Joe practiced for over five years at another Des Moines, Iowa law firm and completed a two-year judicial clerkship with the Honorable Terry L. Huitink of the Iowa Court of Appeals.
Areas of Practice
Lending, Collections & Bankruptcy
Real Estate Litigation
Admitted to practice in the following states:
Admitted to practice before the following federal courts:
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Iowa
Reported Cases and Representative Matters
- Samann L.C. v. Victory Lodging, Inc., 784 N.W.2d 201 (Iowa Ct. App. 2010). Successfully represented the defendant in a breach of purchase agreement and listing agreements action.
- Horton v. Uptown Partners, L.P., 720 N.W.2d 192 (Iowa Ct. App. 2006). Successfully represented commercial lessee in breach of lease action.
- McDonald v. Shipley, 778 N.W.2d 66 (Iowa Ct. App. 2009). Successfully represented seller of a home in an action for failure to disclose property defects.
- Johnson v. Baum, 788 N.W.2d 397 (Iowa Ct. App. 2010). Successfully represented home buyer in an action for failure to disclose property defect.
- Bassman v. Knapp, 771 N.W.2d 651 (Iowa Ct. App. 2009). Successfully enforced arbitration provision in breach of contract action.
Other Representative Matters
- Has successfully represented home buyers, home sellers, realtors and realty companies in actions of breach of purchase agreements and failure to disclose defects.
- Has successfully represented both commercial and residential landlords in breach of lease actions.
- Successfully represented an heir in a testamentary capacity, undue influence, and breach of fiduciary duty action.
- Successfully defended individuals and businesses in breach of contract and breach of loan agreement actions.
Memberships & Activities
- C. Edwin Moore American Inn of Court
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Polk County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy
Education & Background
- J.D., Drake University Law School, 2003 (With High Honors, Order of the Coif, Drake Law Review Articles Editor, Moot Court Board)
- B.A., Central College, 2000 (Summa Cum Laude; Captain, Central College Basketball Team; Alpha Zeta Mu)
- Judicial Law Clerk to the Honorable Terry L. Huitink, Iowa Court of Appeals, 2003-2005
Articles & Presentations
- Author, Chapter 12 Bankruptcy: As a Creditor, is There Any Way to Get the Action Dismissed? Iowa Banking Law Blog, Iowa Real Estate & Land Use Blog, October 19, 2015
- Author, Banks Beware: If Your Borrower Receives Medicaid Reimbursement from the State, Your First Priority Interest May Be in Jeopardy, Iowa Banking Law Blog, January 14, 2015