Paul R. Tyler
Paul Tyler retired from Dickinson, Mackaman, Tyler & Hagen P.C. on December 31, 2022.
- For trusts and estate matters, please contact David Repp or Bill Stiles.
- For real estate and land use matters, contact Jeff Baxter, Ben Bruner, Bill Stiles, or John Lande.
- For real estate litigation matters, please contact Mollie Pawlosky or John Lande.
- For general business law matters, please contact a member of the Business Law group.
- For mergers and acquisitions matters, please contact a member of the Mergers & Acquisitions team.
- For contracts and vendor agreements, please contact Amy Plummer or Charles Telk.
- For banking and finance law matters, please contact Howard Hagen or John Lande.
Commercial transactions including corporate finance, real estate issues and business contracts comprised a significant portion of Paul’s practice. His practice areas included estate planning, trusts and probate matters. Paul was named a fellow in the American College of Real Estate Lawyers, held an AV rating by Martindale-Hubbell, and was top-ranked by Chambers & Partners, Best Lawyers and Super Lawyers. He served as primary legal counsel to a broad variety of business entities and individuals and as local counsel to numerous national and international business.
Education & Background
- J.D., University of Iowa College of Law (With Distinction)
- B.A., University of Iowa (With Honors and Distinction; Phi Beta Kappa)
Honors & Awards
- Selected for inclusion in the 2005-2022 editions of Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business as a Leading Individual in the area of Real Estate in the state of Iowa. Paul has drawn the following published commentary from the editors of Chambers USA:
- Paul is well respected by his peers for his knowledge and expertise. Clients “couldn't be happier with his work,” pointing out that “he has a deep knowledge of the intricacies involved in technical real estate components.”
- Paul Tyler is described as "very experienced and very thorough with a strong reputation in real estate matters." His expertise includes handling negotiations for corporate transactions and advising on finance-related real estate matters.
- “Peers enthusiastically billed the team’s leading light, Paul Tyler, as ‘a wonderful guy, easily as good as anyone around.’ Historically recognized for his work with leading financial institutions in the state, his position at the head of the rankings was undisputed.”
- “Paul Tyler acted for Foods, Inc. on the redevelopment and construction of a new branch of the Dahl’s retail outlet, involving the acquisition of land and rezoning of property. He has a broad-based practice that covers all areas of real estate”
- “Paul Tyler is lauded as ‘a highly skilled technical lawyer who always puts clients’ interests first. ’ He acted for Foods on the rezoning of a site for a $15 million retail grocery outlet.”
- “Paul Tyler advises a number of banks on real estate financing issues, and a number of developers too…‘He is knowledgeable and doesn’t make things more complicated than they need to be,’ say clients.”
- “Of counsel Paul Tyler remains a respected name in the marketplace. He is noted for his impressive handling of transactional matters and also offers expertise on estate planning and trusts.”
- “Paul Tyler is now of counsel to the firm, and offers clients the benefit of his extensive knowledge and experience of transactional matters, estate planning and trusts.”
- "Paul Tyler draws on a vast wealth of experience in real estate transactions to advise clients on property acquisitions and dispositions, as well as financing and title issues."
- From 2018-2022, Paul has received special recognition as Senior Statesman in the practice area of Real Estate from Chambers USA.
- Selected for inclusion in the 2022 and 2023 editions of The Best Lawyers in America in the following areas:
- Real Estate Law
- Land Use & Zoning Law
- Paul is the 2019 "Lawyer of the Year" for Land Use and Zoning Law as recognized by U.S. News & World Report's Best Lawyers in America.
- Selected for inclusion in 2007, 2009 thru 2017 Great Plains Super Lawyers Lists in the area of Real Estate.
- Other Awards
- Recipient of the Iowa State Bar Association’s highest honor, the Award of Merit, in 2010.
- Recipient of the Polk County Iowa Bar Association's highest honor, the Award of Merit, in 2008.
- AV Preeminent Peer Review rated since 1980 – the highest rating in legal ability and ethical standards.
Admitted to practice in the following states:
- Wisconsin (Emeritus status)
Admitted to practice before the following federal courts:
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa (inactive status)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Iowa (inactive status)
Reported Cases and Representative Matters
- Appointed by U.S. District Court at the request of S.I.P.C. to be Trustee for the liquidation of a securities broker-dealer under the supervision of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court.
- Lead counsel for Agent Banks in numerous multi-million dollar agented credit transactions.
- Local counsel for Agent Banks in numerous credit transactions involving real estate in multiple jurisdictions.
- Primary counsel to developers in numerous real estate developments.
Memberships & Activities
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Recipient, Award of Merit, 2010
- Recipient, Outstanding Committee Chair Award, 2007
- Chair, Building Committee, 2005-2008
- Member, Board of Governors, 1995-1999, 2003-2007
- Chair, Multi-Jurisdictional Practice Committee, 2000-2003
- Recipient, President’s Award, 2001
- Chair, Real Estate Section, 1993-1994
- Member, Land Title Standards Committee, 1989-1995
- Chair, Legal Forms Committee, 1984-1988
- Polk County Bar Association
- Recipient, Award of Merit, 2008
- President, Board of Directors, 2002
- Member, Board of Directors, 1989-1993, 1995-2007
- Chair, Grievance Committee, 1985-1987
- Iowa Supreme Court Grievance Commission
- Member, 1995-2004
- Polk County Legal Aid Society
- Board of Directors, 2000-2002
- ISBA Public Service Project
- Board of Directors, 2004-2008
- Iowa State Bar Foundation
- President, 2015-2017
- Board of Directors, 2007-2017
- American College of Real Estate Lawyers
- Fellow, 1994-2019
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- American Bar Association
- Better Business Bureau Serving Greater Iowa, Quad Cities and the Siouxland Region
- Chair, Board of Directors, 2004-2005
- Member, Board of Directors, 1995-2008
- Youth Homes of MidAmerica Foundation
- Board of Directors, 1996-2007; Past President
- Hospice of Central Iowa
- Board of Directors, 1988-1994
- Polk County Public Health Nursing Association
- Board of Directors, 1978-1983
- W.T. and Edna M. Dahl Trust (a private charitable foundation )
- Trustee, 2007-Present
- Des Moines Symphony Foundation
- President, 2016-2018
- Trustee, 2013-Present
- Eyerly Ball Foundation, Trustee and Treasurer, 2015-2019
Articles & Presentations
- Presenter at numerous continuing education programs sponsored by various entities, including the Iowa State Bar Association, Iowa Law School, Bank Administration Institute, Iowa Land Title Association, Lincoln Inne and Iowa Society of CPAs
- Instructor, Des Moines Area Community College and American Banking Institute, Banking Law, 1981
- Author, Case Note, Eminent Domain – Private Charitable Condemnee-Reduced Burden of Proof to Show Arbitrariness in Condemnation (Texas Eastern Transmission Corp. v. Wildlife Preserves, Inc., N.J. 1966), 52 Iowa Law Review 1209, 1967