Richard A. Malm represents business clients in a wide range of matters including formation, financing, contracts, general legal advice, and civil litigation. His clients include both small and large local businesses, as well as very large firms that are international in scope. Admitted to practice in 1974, he has had experience in most areas of business practice, including litigation in state court, federal court, administrative tribunals, and arbitration.
Areas of Practice
Contracts & Agreements
Mergers & Acquisitions
Admitted to practice in the following states:
Admitted to practice before the following federal courts:
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Iowa
Reported Cases and Representative Matters
- Dowell v. Wells Fargo Bank, NA, 517 F.3d 1024 (8th Cir 2008). Successfully represented bank in Fair Credit Reporting Act case.
- America Online, Inc. v. National Health Care Discount, Inc., 174 F.Supp.2d 890 (N.D. Iowa 2001). Recovered damages for “spam.”
- Fall River County v. S. Dakota Dept. of Revenue, 1999 SD 139, 601 N.W.2d 816. Trial of a complex railroad property tax dispute.
- Burlington N. R. Co. v. Huddleston, 94 F.3d 1413 (10th Cir. 1996). Obtained ruling that making intangible personal property exemption available to all commercial and industrial taxpayers other than public utilities violated 4-R Act.
- Citicorp of N. Am., Inc. v. Lifestyle Communications Corp., 836 F.Supp 644, 668 (S.D. Iowa 1993). Trial of a multi-party commercial dispute.
Honors & Awards
- Selected for inclusion in the 2009-2017 editions of Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business as a “Leading Individual” in the area of Corporate/Mergers & Acquisitions in the state of Iowa. Also selected for inclusion in the 2008 edition as a “Leading Individual” in the area of General Commercial Litigation in the state of Iowa. Rick has drawn the following published commentary from the editors of Chambers USA:
- 2009: “Richard Malm combines a strong corporate practice with expertise in litigation.”
- 2010: “Richard Malm divides his time between transactional and contentious work. Sources concur: ‘He listens well, explains clearly and the quality of his draftings means they are seldom tested in court.'”
- 2011: “Richard Malm is an ‘outstanding lawyer’ who provides general corporate counsel alongside litigation advice.”
- 2012: “The ‘sharp-minded and smart’ Richard Malm focuses on sophisticated work on behalf of large institutions. His expertise covers contracts and agreements, M&A and litigation.”
- 2013: “Richard Malm ‘gives very common-sense, authoritative advice,’ according to clients. He is best known for his work with large financial institutions on a range of acquisitions and regulatory matters.”
- 2016: Rick advises on financial structuring issues. Sources attest that he "brings value to the transaction side of things," adding: "He really digs into the details."
- 2017: "Rick Malm is an established corporate attorney whose complementary experience in litigation is also highlighted by peers."
- Rick is the 2019 "Lawyer of the Year" for Eminent Domain and Condemnation Law as recognized by U.S. News & World Report's Best Lawyers in America.
- Selected for inclusion in the 2018 edition of The Best Lawyers in America in the following areas:
- Corporate Law
- Derivatives and Futures Law
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction Law
- Corporate Governance Law
- Eminent Domain & Condemnation Law
- Litigation – Construction
- Rick is the 2017 "Lawyer of the Year" for Construction Law as recognized by U.S. News & World Report's Best Lawyers in America.
- Selected for inclusion in the 2014 Great Plains Super Lawyers List in the area of Construction Litigation.
Memberships & Activities
- Dickinson Law Firm
- Vice President, Board of Directors
- Chair, Finance Committee
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Member, Agricultural Law Section
- American Bar Association
- Polk County Bar Association
Education & Background
- J.D., Drake University Law School, 1974 (With Honors, Order of the Coif, Drake Law Review Associate Editor, Tau Beta Pi)
- B.S.E.E., Iowa State University, 1971
Articles & Presentations
- Author, “Contracts for Future Delivery of Grain: An Overview of Common Legal Problems,” The Agricultural Law Journal, Winter 1981