Robert K. Porter
Des Moines, IA 50309
Rob Porter practices primarily in employment law, education law, gambling and gaming law, licensing and administrative law, in addition to representing licensed individuals and organizations in regulated industries.
With a desire to help businesses of all sizes grow and individuals thrive, Rob provides his clients with nearly 20 years of legal experience, advising state government decision-makers, working with educational institutions, and representing both public and private sector clients from a variety of industries on complex labor and employment, regulatory, transactional, and operational issues.
Education & Background
- J.D., University of Iowa College of Law (with Distinction)
- B.A., Doane College (Summa Cum Laude)
Rob’s prior experience includes serving as general counsel or corporate counsel to organizations in highly regulated industries, working as in-house counsel for a university, and representing public officials in a variety of settings, and working in private practice. This unique set of insights and experiences allows Rob to provide the best possible guidance for your organization.
Honors & Awards
- Received the “Outstanding Achievement in Compliance” Award at the 2018 GamblingCompliance Global Regulatory Awards in London for his role in the successful investigation, prosecution, and remediation of what the World Lottery Association Magazine called the “biggest lottery fraud of all time” in the Winter 2015/2016 edition.
Admitted to practice in the following states:
Admitted to Practice Before the Following Federal Courts:
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Iowa
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
Reported Cases and Representative Matters
- Represented both governmental agencies and private parties in sunshine law disputes and provided advice on compliance with open meeting and open records laws in multiple jurisdictions. Provided guidance on matters before the Iowa Public Information Board. Prevailed in court proceedings on open record disputes.
- Involved in the drafting, negotiation, and implementation of numerous contracts involving public contracts on the state and federal level, including some multi-million dollar contracts. Prevailed in vendor appeals relating to the processes awarding those contracts from public bids.
- Successfully guided employers on employment audit matters before a variety of state and federal agencies.
- Obtained favorable state supreme court ruling on behalf of employer accused of violating collective bargaining laws, obtaining precedent limiting the overall authority of the overseeing agency in the process.
- Prevailed as a matter of law on multiple party and class action commercial lawsuits where plaintiffs sought millions of dollars in damages.
- Led compliance efforts for institutions of higher education and educational testing organizations.
Memberships & Activities
Iowa Association of Business and Industry
Member, Drug Testing Subcommittee
Iowa Defense Counsel Association
Iowa Gaming Association
Iowa Association of School Boards
American Bar Association
Polk County Bar Association
Iowa Bar Association
Articles & Presentations
- Author, Don’t Cheat on an Iowa Employer’s Drug or Alcohol Test—You Could Now Go to Jail, Informer Newsletter, Iowa Municipalities Workers’ Compensation Association, March 2021 edition
- Presenter, "Social Media for Financial Institutions: Profit and Peril", Iowa Banking Association CEO Peer Group, March 9, 2021
- Author, Failure to Reappoint Equals Wrongful Discharge?, Iowa Employer Law Blog, March 8, 2021
- Author, Don’t Cheat on an Iowa Employer’s Drug or Alcohol Test—You Could Now Go to Jail, Iowa Employer Law Blog, February 22, 2021
- Presenter, "Ban the Box: Will Waterloo Start an Iowa Trend?", Iowa SHRM State Conference, October 14, 2020
- Presenter, "Outside vs. Inside Counsel," Dickinson Law Startup Legal Webinar (available On Demand), October 8, 2020
- Co-Presenter, Iowa American Association of School Personnel Administrators (AASPA) Virtual Legal Session, September 16, 2020
- Author, Using Sunshine Laws in Contracting & Bidding Opportunities for the Week of Aug. 17, Iowa Bidding & Public Contracts Blog, August, 18, 2020
- Author, The Revised Title IX Rules Are Becoming Effective — Is Your School Ready?, Iowa Education Law Blog, August 4, 2020
- Author, The Public Procurement Process in Iowa & Bidding Opportunities for the Week of July 27, Iowa Bidding & Public Contracts Blog, July 29, 2020
- Author, New State Requirement: Iowa Employers Must Tell Departing Employees About Unemployment Insurance, Iowa Employer Law Blog, July 27, 2020
- Author, NLRB Grants Employers More Leeway to Correct Abusive Workplace Behavior, Iowa Employer Law Blog, July 22, 2020