Thomas D. Hanson
Tom Hanson has been one of the most active trial lawyers in Des Moines for more than 30 years, litigating civil and criminal cases in state and federal court. As a trial attorney, he represents clients in complex litigation. As an insurance lawyer, Tom served as president of the Iowa Defense Counsel Association.
With his experience in the practice of business law, Tom also represents corporations, boards and corporate officers in business transactions, disputes, lawsuits and white-collar crime proceedings.
Tom has earned an “AV” rating from his peers in Martindale-Hubbell, a professional designation of high legal ability and a very high adherence to the professional standards of conduct and ethics.
Education & Background
- J.D., University of Chicago, 1970
- B.A., University of Iowa, 1967
Before joining Dickinson Law Firm in 2012, Tom was the senior partner at Hanson, Bjork & Russell, LLP in Des Moines for 37 years.
Honors & Awards
Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated (AV Preeminent and BV Distinguished are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell® certification procedures, standards and policies).
- Selected for inclusion in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business 2017-2020 as a “Leading Individual” in the area of General Commercial Litigation in the state of Iowa. Tom has drawn the following published commentary from the editors of Chambers USA:
- 2020: "Hanson is a respected litigator with a strong track record representing clients in a variety of commercial disputes. "He's a well-known trial lawyer who is very well regarded," interviewees remark.
- 2017: "Tom focuses his practice on complex litigation at both state and federal level. Peers widely acknowledge his capabilities in the courtroom, noting: "He has the gift, and is a unique talent."
- Selected for inclusion for 25 consecutive years in the 2006-2021 editions of The Best Lawyers in America in the following areas:
- Commercial Litigation
- Bet-the-Company Litigation
- AV Preeminent Peer Review rated since 1983 – the highest rating in legal ability and ethical standards.
Admitted to practice in the following states:
Admitted to practice before the following federal courts:
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Iowa
Memberships & Activities
- Polk County Bar Association
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Iowa Defense Counsel Association (President, 1987-1988)