Bill Serangeli represents business clients, including real estate companies, banks and insurance companies, in commercial litigation and insurance defense matters. He currently serves as general counsel for various Boards of Realtors® and regularly lectures on legal topics to bar associations and trade organizations on professional compliance issues and ethics. Bill is also active in professional community organizations including the Iowa State Bar Association and the Polk County Bar Association.
Areas of Practice
Admitted to practice in the following states:
Admitted to practice before the following federal courts:
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Iowa
Honors & Awards
- Selected for inclusion in the 2015-2018 edition of Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business in the area of General Commercial Litigation. Bill has drawn the following published commentary from the editors of Chambers USA:
- 2017: Clients praise William Serangeli, saying that "he dominates in a courtroom situation." Other sources describe him as "fast and decisive" and "very knowledgeable." His practice predominantly involves representing business clients.
- 2016: Sources say of William Serangeli: "He is very effective, I am impressed with him." They add: "He is good on his feet and knows when to talk."
- Bill is the 2019 "Lawyer of the Year" for Litigation - Real Estate Law as recognized by U.S. News & World Report's Best Lawyers in America.
- Selected for inclusion in the 2013-2018 editions of The Best Lawyers in America in the following areas:
- Commercial Litigation
- Litigation – Land Use & Zoning
- Litigation – Real Estate
- Real Estate Law
Memberships & Activities
- Iowa Academy of Trial Lawyers
- Fellow, 2003-Present
- Iowa Defense Counsel Association
- Defense Research Institute
- C. Edwin Moore American Inn of Court
- Master of the Inn
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Member, Litigation Section
- Chair, Committee on Specialization
- American Bar Association
- Member, Litigation Section
- Polk County Bar Association
- Past Member and Chair, Bench Bar Committee
- West Des Moines (Iowa) Soccer Club
- Past Director of Referees
- Volunteer Referee
Education & Background
- J.D., Drake University Law School (With Honors; Order of the Coif; Order of the Barristers; Drake Law Review)
- B.S.Ed., Illinois State University
Articles & Presentations
- Author, Buyers' Beware: The Doctrine of Merger and Non-Mandatory Disclosures, Iowa Real Estate & Land Use Blog, April 10, 2017
- Author, Is Earnest Money Really Important?, Iowa Real Estate & Land Use Blog, March 28, 2017
- Author, Homeowner's Association Bylaws Have Teeth, Iowa Real Estate & Land Use Blog, August 31, 2016
- Author, Iowa Court of Appeals Rules That the Doctrine of Merger Precludes the Recovery of Attorney Fees in a Chapter 558A Case, Iowa Real Estate & Land Use Blog, January 27, 2016
- Author, Trial Court Rejects Guarantor’s Attempt to Utilize a Claim of Negligent Loan Administration as an Affirmative Defense, Iowa Banking Law Blog, April 13, 2015.
- Author, Iowa Supreme Court Rejects the Iowa Department of Human Services Claim to a Super Priority Lien That Would Disregard a Bank’s Perfected Security Interest, Iowa Banking Law Blog, April 10, 2015.