William M. Reasoner
Des Moines, IA 50309
ANTOINETTE WATSON: (LEGAL ASSISTANT)
Will is a lifelong Iowan and practices in a diverse range of general and business litigation matters for clients in various industries. Will’s practice is broad and includes municipal and private land use appeals and litigation, commercial and business litigation, trust and estate litigation, construction disputes, and administrative appeals. Will represents several outdoor advertising companies throughout the state and advises those entities on municipal land use issues, state regulatory matters, and also litigates property use disputes that arise in the industry.
Education & Background
- J.D., University of Iowa College of Law (With Distinction)
- B.A., University of Iowa
- Law Clerk, Pitton Law P.C., Iowa City, Iowa, 2015-17
- Law Clerk, Meardon, Sueppel & Downer P.L.C., Iowa City, Iowa, 2015
Honors & Awards
- Creston Chamber of Commerce Youth of the Year (2010)
Admitted to practice in the following states:
Admitted to practice before the following federal courts:
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Iowa
Reported Cases and Representative Matters
- Successfully represented a business owner in a lawsuit involving a multi-million dollar contract dispute, obtaining a directed verdict during trial, which was affirmed by the Court of Appeals.
- Obtained favorable rulings before a federal administrative law judge following trial, appeal, and re-trial in a Department of Housing and Urban Development proceeding.
- Has represented individuals, businesses, and homeowners associations in various municipal zoning and land use disputes and as obtained successful rulings from boards of adjustment on such disputes.
- Litigated and negotiated resolutions for advertising companies related to land use and property rights disputes.
- Obtained favorable private compromise results in mechanics’ lien foreclosure cases.
- Prevailed in a contested foreclosure action at district court and at the Court of Appeals, and was granted an award for full attorneys’ fees associated with each portion of the litigation.
- Successfully defended real estate agents against claims in various proceedings.
Memberships & Activities
- Member, Core Crew, Greater Des Moines Habitat for Humanity
- Member, Habitat Young Professionals, Greater Des Moines Habitat for Humanity
- Member, C. Edwin Moore Inn of Court, Des Moines, Iowa
- Knights of Columbus, Fourth Degree, Sacred Heart Church, West Des Moines, Iowa
- Knights of Columbus Officer, Advocate, Sacred Heart Church, West Des Moines, Iowa
- Student Manager, University of Iowa Women's Basketball (2013-14)
Articles & Presentations
Featured, New Dickinson Law Shareholder Announced, Iowa Real Estate and Land Use Law Blog, Iowa Commercial Litigation Blog, October 27, 2022
Author, Hurricane Winds in the Midwest Spur Questions of Premises Liability and Damage Control, Banking Law, August 20, 2020
Author, Attorneys’ Fees Now Available for Residential Mechanics’ Lien Foreclosures, Iowa Construction Law Blog, June 16, 2020
Author, Loan Modifications During COVID-19 – Recording Made Easy, Iowa Banking Law Blog, April 3, 2020
Author, Commercial Loan Defaults Affected by COVID-19, Iowa Banking Law Blog, April 3, 2020
Author, Our Advances are Senior Based on a Dragnet Clause, Right? Not So Fast, Iowa Real Estate and Land Use Law Blog, March 23, 2020
Author, Evictions During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Legal?, Iowa Real Estate & Land Use Law Blog, March 20, 2020
Author, Big-Picture Legal Strategy Saves Shareholders, Iowa Commercial Litigation Law Blog, August 29, 2018
Author, The $5,500 per day Lesson to Learn from I-35 Construction Delay, Iowa Real Estate & Land Use Law Blog, July 18, 2018
Author, Student Loans and Bankruptcy, Volume II, Iowa Banking Law Blog, Iowa Commercial Litigation Law Blog, June 29, 2018
Author, So You’re Drowning in Student Loan Debt. Is it Time to Exclaim “I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!”?, Iowa Banking Law Blog, Iowa Commercial Litigation Law Blog, June 19, 2018
Presenter, “They Said What?!: Iowa Supreme Court’s Misplaced Reliance and Taking Without Just Compensation” Lincoln Inne, Des Moines, Iowa, March 5, 2018
Presenter, “A Sprint Through the 2017 Case Law Update” Dickinson Law Employment Law Client Seminar, West Des Moines, Iowa, October 19, 2017
Author, A Cautionary Tale to Banks: Avoiding a Civil Conspiracy During a Nonjudicial Voluntary Foreclosure, Iowa Banking Law Blog, Iowa Commercial Litigation Law Blog, December 6, 2017
Author, "They Said What?!: Iowa Supreme Court’s Misplaced Reliance and Taking Without Just Compensation", Iowa Commercial Litigation Law Blog, Iowa Real Estate & Land Use Law Blog, December 12, 2017