Banking & Financial Services Law
Legal Services for Banks and Financial Institutions
Because of their impact on the economy, there are several local, state, and federal regulations that govern US financial institutions. These regulations deal with everything from customer disputes and complaints against a bank to complex litigation between domestic and foreign institutions. Complying with such a vast number of regulations requires expertise at the highest level.
The banking law attorneys at Dickinson, Mackaman, Tyler & Hagen, P.C. counsel more than 90 financial institutions doing business in Iowa. We have one of the largest teams of financial attorneys in Iowa, providing exceptional legal services to both state and local banks.
More specifically, we offer banking law assistance with everything from banking mergers to creditor's rights. Our firm offers comprehensive legal services for banks and financial service providers, covering a wide range of common legal issues.
The areas of expertise our firm is able to provide includes:
loan documentation and collection
state and federal regulatory compliance services
bank mergers and acquisitions
branch sales and purchases
buy-sell and shareholder agreements
succession and strategic planning
new products and services
cash management agreements
enforcement actions and litigation in state and federal court
At Dickinson Law Firm, we strive to anticipate the future needs of Iowa's financial and banking institutions. Our Iowa banking attorneys are committed to staying up to date with banking law industry developments and communicating relevant information to our clients. Our priority is to remain a dependable law firm that provides valuable real-world experience for those in the banking industry.
Dickinson's Banking Law Group is led by Howard Hagen, who formerly served as general counsel to the Iowa Division of Banking. Howard currently serves as general counsel to the Community Bankers of Iowa.
As the Senior Audit and Compliance Manager, Jeff Jungman helps clients understand the nuances of bank compliance and regulatory matters. Jeff has more than 20 years' experience as a bank regulator and holds the following certifications:
- American Bankers Association - Certified Regulatory Compliance Manager
- Independent Community Bankers of America - Certified Community Bank Compliance Officer
- The SBS Institute - Certified Community Banking Security Professional
- Conference of State Bank Supervisors - Certified Examinations Manager
- Bank Administration Institute - Certified Bank Auditor
- Fiduciary Training Institute - Certified Fiduciary Audit Professional
- West Des Moines Police Department - Certified Reserve Peace Officer
Jeff worked for 12 years at Bankers Trust, Iowa's largest independent community bank. During his time there he maintained compliance, loan review programs and regulation adherence, accountability, monitoring, and training.
Before joining Bankers Trust in 2004, Jeff served as Chief Bank Examiner for the state of North Dakota for three years. Jeff also served as Market President for a regional bank in Colorado. Additionally, he worked as an assistant to the Superintendent of Banking for the state of Iowa for 17 years. Read more about Jeff here.
If you’re a financial institution looking for counsel, contact us today!
Howard O. Hagen
Jeffrey G. Baxter
Joseph M. Borg
Benjamin D. Bruner
David B. Gonzales
Bradley R. Kruse
John E. Lande
Richard A. Malm
Emily A. McGovern
Bryan P. O'Neill
Amy D. Plummer
William M. Reasoner
David M. Repp
Melissa A. Schilling
William B. Serangeli
Jon P. Sullivan
Paul R. Tyler
Mary A. Zambreno
- Community Bank Alert: FDIC’s Brokered Deposit Rule
- Bogart Publishes on Using Blockchain to Address Climate Change in The Environmental Law Reporter®
- Rastelli Appointed to the IAPP National Advisory Board
- On Demand Webinar: What's Next for Banking M&A in 2021?
- Register Now: Hagen to Discuss the M&A Market on Bank Webinar Panel
- On Demand: 2020 Banking Law Webinar Series
- Bogart & Soderstrum Join Dickinson Law
- Lunch & Learn: What's Next for Banking M&A in 2021?
- The 2020 Banking Webinar Series Starts Today!
- Do New Overtime Rules Change the Landscape for Mortgage Loan Officers and Loan Officers?
- Hurricane Winds in the Midwest Spur Questions of Premises Liability and Damage Control
- Dickinson Law’s COVID-19 Banking Survey Results
- Register for the 2020 Banking Law Webinar Series
- Looming LIBOR Transition: Bank Planning Should Start Now
- Paycheck Protection Program Deadline Extended Until August 8
- On Demand Video: COVID-19 Challenges and Opportunities for Banks
- On Demand Webinar: Cyber Law and Insurance - Surviving an Incident
- On-Demand Webinar for Lenders: COVID-19 – Dealing with Agricultural and Commercial Loans
- Interpretation of "Material Adverse Change" in the Era of COVID-19
- Iowa Supreme Court Rules Secured Creditor Entitled to Refund for Co-op Storage and Drying Costs
- Webinar: COVID-19 – Dealing with Agricultural and Commercial Loans
- Hemp is Now Legal in Iowa
- Another Round of Direct Payments to Farmers are Likely in Wake of COVID-19 Pandemic as Farmer Sentiment Declines Steeply
- Federal Banking Regulators Issue Community Bank Leverage Guidance in Accordance with CARES Act
- COVID-19: Fraudsters Want Your Payroll Protection Program Money
- COVID-19: SBA Releases Final Payroll Protection Program Rules
- Loan Modifications During COVID-19 – Recording Made Easy
- Commercial Loan Defaults Affected by COVID-19
- Webinar: COVID-19 Relief Options and Your Business
- DOL Has Revised Its "COVID-19" Poster
- Our Advances are Senior Based on a Dragnet Clause, Right? Not So Fast
- COVID-19: Paycheck Protection Program – Forgivable Loans for Businesses under SBA 7(a) Program
- COVID-19: Fraudsters Also Work From Home
- DOL Issues Posters & Other Materials Under the Families First Coronavirus Response Act
- COVID-19: Tax Filing Date & Payment Extension, Tax Credits for Paid Leave, and NEW Stimulus Payments
- SBA Disaster Loans – What Constitutes a Small Business
- SBA Disaster Loans – Eligibility and Filing Requirements
- The Coronavirus and Chapter 11 Bankruptcy
- SBA Disaster Business Loans – Iowa Now Designated as Disaster Area
- SBA Disaster Business Loans – A Financial Lifeline for Small Businesses During the Coronavirus Pandemic
- COVID-19: FDIC Issues FAQ for Financial Institutions
- Building a Winning Cybersecurity Program: Where Does Leadership Start?
- The Cyber-Lawsuit that Works: Company v. Company
- On Demand Webinar: Avoiding Aggravation in Ag Lending - 2020 Edition
- New Iowa Cybersecurity Legislation
- Cannabis Banking: Dickinson attorneys to present at Community Bankers of Iowa Leadership Conference
- SEC Asserts Authority: Some ICOs Are Legal, Some Are Not
- Join Us for a Webinar: Avoiding Aggravation in Ag Lending 2020
- Webinar: Join us for Avoiding Aggravation in Ag Lending - 2020 Edition
- Check Before You Pay Vendors
- Nobody is SAFE: Secure And Fair Enforcement Banking Act of 2019 Languishes in U.S. Senate
- Ankeny Arrest is a Reminder that CBD Products Remain Illegal in Iowa
- Fintechs and the Bumpy Regulatory Landscape in Iowa
- You Can’t Outsource Cybersecurity to Your Bank
- FinCEN Changes SAR Guidance in Wake of USDA Rules Update
- Iowa Supreme Court Clarifies Powers and Plan Due Dates for Existing Guardianships and Conservatorships