Laws regarding divorce and property division can be extremely complex and vary from situation to situation. As a result, it’s crucial to find an experienced property division lawyer to help navigate the process. The expert family law lawyers at Dickinson Law Firm are here to offer guidance and support throughout the entire process.
Iowa is an equitable division state, which means courts will apportion property and debts fairly to divorcing parties. However, Iowa divorce laws often find that an equitable division does not necessarily mean an equal division of the assets and debts. Courts will award property based on the following factors:
- Length of the marriage
- Property brought to the marriage by each party
- The contribution of each party to the marriage, giving appropriate economic value to each party's contribution to homemaking and child care services
- The age, physical and emotional health of the parties, as well as the earning capacity of each party
- Any contribution by one party to the education, training, or increased earning power of the other
- Child custody considerations, including factors such as joint custody, partial custody, and homeownership
- Alimony considerations, including the amount and duration of payments
- Other economic circumstances of each party, including pension benefits, vested or unvested, and future interests
- The tax consequences to each party
- Any written agreement made by the parties concerning property distribution, often in prenuptial agreements (prenups)
- Any other factors the court may determine to be relevant in an individual case
As experts in property division law, our property division attorneys will work with you to analyze the specific facts of your individual case. Depending on your circumstances, we may engage in the discovery process in order to classify and value marital property. This can include formal written discovery and taking and defending depositions.
Our attorneys will assist in every aspect of a property division agreement. This can include determining that a spouse has dissipated assets, assisting in dividing retirement plans and pensions, and in valuing businesses. Dickinson's family law attorneys will ensure that all issues involved in dividing your assets and debts are taken into consideration.
When choosing a property division law firm, find a firm that will bring the attention, dedication, and expertise that your case deserves. We will take the time to get to know your unique situation and custom tailor a plan best suited to your case. Contact us or view our locations to find a family law lawyer near you.
- Transitional Spousal Support Could Help Dependent Spouses Adjust to Post-Divorce Life
- New Resource: Family Law FAQ Page
- New Family Law Commercial
- Finding Hidden Assets in a Divorce
- Infidelity in Divorce
- Family Law Feature: Get to Know... Mary Zambreno
- Family Law Feature: Get to Know... Regan Wilson
- How to Strategize an Amicable Divorce
- What's Mine is Mine: Dividing Gifted Property in Iowa Divorces